Polaroid SX 70 - Impossible Film, troubleshooting and repair

This blog is about my experiences and  the first shots that I took with my Polaroid  SX-70 camera using Impossible film ( aark viewfinder, constantly running motor, troubleshooting and repair ).

 
Polaroid SX-70 Color Impossible film, indoor shot with only available light.




suddenly something went wrong ...


The tools used to do the repair ...




 
I have always been fascinated  by instant film. Usually I have used  Fuji FP-100C on my 4x5 Linhof Master Techika and Graflex Pacemaker cameras. But since FujiFilm has discontinued its production of FP100c film, I was quite worried about the future. 

Recently and as a reaction to the increasing prices of  FP-100C film, I bought a Polaroid SX-70 camera, in order to be able to shoot further instat film by using the products of the Impossible Project.






The camera was in a very good cosmetic condition. I loaded a  new pack of Impossible Project SX-70-type film and everything worked as expected.  I was satisfied with the results, even for indoor shots the film behaved better than expected.
























but then suddenly something went wrong ... 







the viewfinder turned dark and the motor was running constantly ...

I pooled the cartridge out I have done some research in the the web. Almost instantly I found very helpful support ... 

"If your SX has the mirror stuck and also has the motor constantly running when you insert a film pack the most likely reason for it is a tiny little piece of plastic that connects the motor to the gears that drive the mirror etc."  [ https://www.flickr.com/groups/11961199@N00/discuss/72157615738019429/ ]


A tiny little piece of plastic that connects the motor to the gears that drive the mirror was broken.

 To fix it I also used this great site as a reference for pulling the camera apart www.chemie.unibas.ch/~holder/sx70tech.html

Then all you need to do is stretch the spring until the end of the spring will sit in the slot at the end of the shaft connected to the gears.

I used some tiny tools to do it, I stretched the spring a little past the shaft so when I slipped it into the slot it stayed put. It has stayed there quite well so I didn't bother using any glue but if it does ever slip out I'll open it back up and glue it in place.























I used a mini Torx T-4 to open the camera.


















It was much easier than I thought, but without the tiny tools it would not be possible to do the repair ...





Tools used to do the repair ...



I wasted 2 or 3 Impossible film sheets  but now the camera works again perfectly and I hope it would do so for a long time ...

... the images are a little bit out of focus. I don't know if it is due to the impossible film or if I have to adjust the focusing device ...





Comments

Popular Posts