The Diving Challenge Begins


THE DIVING CHALLENGE BEGINS! I am leaving on Monday 17 March for Phuket-Thailand for my DM/IDC/EFRI/MSDT Prep courses. So currently I concentrate all my efforts to study and prepare myself for this new challendge.


A few words about my diving background. In recent years I have been employed as a scientist in the Department of Physical Oceanography at the University of Hamburg, Germany. During the years 2005 – 2006 I have been trained continuously in a supervised program at the scientific diving center of Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research in Germany and I am certified European Scientific Diver (ESD Nr. D-070)

For more information about ESD have a look to the following sites: www.uk-sdsc.com - UK Scientific Diving Supervisory Committee (SDSC), www.scientific-diving.eu (EUROPEAN SCIENTIFIC DIVING COMMITTEE), www.forschungstauchen-deutschland.de - Kommission Forschungstauchen Deutschland (KFT).

In the last year I decided to make a change in my life and follow a more close to reality
maritime career. I decided also to take a further diving education on a professional level.
After a few days of intense internet research, I came apon the website of Chris Owen.

[ Unfortunately I had to realize that Chris was absolutely awful. A very negative experience! Think carefully before booking - Commentary May 2008 ] - see also myReview.

The See Bees Diving Academy is based in the exotic Phuket in Thailand. After some email exchange with Chris I came to the decision to go there early in this year for a professional training. The whole package includes: the DM (Divemaster) education / the complete IDC (Instructor Development Course) / the EFRI (Emergency First Response Instructor) and the MSDT (Master Scuba Diver Trainer) Prep.

It is really a huge challenge, which requires dedication, commitment, effort, time and money. I hope I will enjoy it.



PADI Divemaster (DM)





The PADI Divemaster Course is the first professional level course of the PADI training spectrum and is the stepping-stone and foundation training for any PADI Instructor Training.

The PADI Divemaster course is divided into three modules:
Knowledge Development, Water-skills and Stamina, and Practical Application.
Knowledge Development consists of 12 topics:


  • The role and characteristics of a PADI Divemaster
  • Supervising diving activities for certified divers
  • Assisting with student divers in training
  • Dive theory introduction
  • Physics
  • Physiology
  • Equipment
  • Decompression theory and dive tables
  • Divemaster conducted programmes
  • Risk management
  • Business of diving
  • Furthering your dive career

Sof far I have worked through:

  • the Rescue Diver Manual,
  • the Divemaster Manual,
  • the Encycopedia of Recreational Diving and
  • the Diving knowledge Workbook.

In addition I have seen a couple of PADI videos including the open water diver, the rescue diver and the divemaster video.




See also myReview of the PADI education and the Thailad adventure!






Comments

Popular Posts